One of the key things I have learned is being able to work with other departments and programs. It really opens up the possibilities. The GIS department here brought in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for possible projects. Many of the projects discussed centered around wetland protection, flooding, harbors, etc. But something they have worked with other tribes on is cemetery/burial identification on tribal lands. We have been wanting to do this for a couple years, now the opportunity may be here to act on this. So I got to yak with the Army folks and they really liked the project of finding and mapping Odawa graves. We have Odawa cemeteries, but not all of the graves are located. With the right equipment and coordination, hopefully this works out and we can identify some long lost burials.
The other task for today was working on the report for our disposition this October. This is the 11th one I have worked on, it’s getting easier. The majority of research was done earlier, making the writing go faster. I mix both traditional information (not too much, just enough) with written records. I feel this makes the strongest argument, especially for affiliated repatriation claims. Whatever produces results, I am all for. If you need to cite some written sources, go for it, as long as ancestors and items are returned. Dispositions, repatriations, mystery donations, you never know how remains will be brought back.
Now I am going to check to see if the Blueberries are ripe, I got an awful weakness for wild berries.

Advertisements